It has been another incredible year at Valentines Residences Resort & Marina. We have achieved measurable success and performed very well. In 2015 we saw increased growth in key areas including occupancy, future reservations, operations and infrastructural upgrades. The resort also celebrated a few remarkable highlights including the coveted title “The Leading Marina in The Bahamas” by the World Travel Awards. We are confident that we will continue on our path to achieving our goals but there is still much more to be done.
In 2016 we will continue our mandate to listen to our owners and guests and to ensure that your Valentines stay and Harbour Island experience is nothing short of exceptional. Thank you for your patience, support and trust in us. As we settle into a new season we take this moment to look back on a thriving year.
The resort’s model of year-round opening continues to impress upon the occupancy rates. The inauguration of the new Delta airlift services which commenced in December also proved favourable. The airline operates two flights a week on Wednesdays and Saturdays from the Atlanta hub to North Eleuthera. These flights have done so well that Delta will add a Monday Atlanta – North Eleuthera flight during the summer season. We anticipate the additional airlift services will contribute to increased hotel occupancy in 2016.
Of particular significance, this year Valentines Resort will host the Fourth Annual Eleuthera Business Outlook 2016 on April 21st. This is a one-day business conference. Attending will be investors, media, and top Bahamian government officials. The Prime Minister has agreed to be the key note speaker. We expect 80-100 attendees with a number spending the night at Valentines.
- The pool was completely refurbished with stunning results!
- The reserve water tank by the pool can now deliver water to the dock and to the villas when demand requires. This will ensure all guests will have adequate water if there is a disruption in supply.
- $27,000 worth of new linens and towels just arrived and we will be in great shape going into our high season March – July.
- The Villas’ shutters have been replaced/rebuilt/refurbished as needed and painted with three coats of marine-grade paint.
- A fence has been erected between the fuel storage/parking lot and the public boat ramp.
- Repairs to concrete and painting were completed on the public boat ramp area.
- “Private” Signs have been placed on all of the main gated entryways to the villa courtyard areas.
- The patios are on scheduled PM for mold and cleanliness to include the screens.
- There is a substantial amount of strategically-located new landscaping on property. We are putting many native shrubbery and plants along all walls where needed.
In 2015 we added three new managers to our “Five Star Rock Stars team.” They include:
- Ty Olsen, Engineering Manager – Ty is responsible for ensuring proper maintenance of grounds, water pressure remains constant and all electrical and mechanical needs are maintained. Ty is originally from Utah and married to a young lady from Grand Bahama.
- Giorgia Simmons, Housekeeping Manager – As a former Property Manager with over 12 years’ experience, Giorgia is responsible for managing a staff of 10 and ensuring the maintenance of the rooms, lobby, pool and common area, walk ways, guest bathrooms and open spaces. Giorgia works hard at enhancing the guest experience. She is originally from Italy and gets a little excited now and then! Giorgia gets things done.
- Montgomery Penn, Head Chef – Prior to joining Valentines Resort, Montgomery Penn was a former Sous Chef of several leading restaurants including: Sapodilla’s in Nassau; Nobu in Atlantis, and The Ritz Carlton, Winding Bay, in Abaco. “Monty” has worked in the culinary industry for more than 13 years. At Valentines he oversees a staff of twelve and assumes responsibility for bringing the flare, flavour and infusion of creativity and culinary skill to Valentines Resort.
- Valentines Resort was honoured with the title of The Bahamas’ Leading Marina from The World Travel Awards. The prestigious award has been placed on the website, eblasts, and print ads and has been promoted in social media marketing efforts.
- Valentines Resort was named as one of the top five luxury resorts in the Bahamas by Travel + Leisure.
- Valentines Resort was recently nominated for a Conde’ Nast Reader’s Choice Award 2016.
- Valentines Resort participated in the Bahamas Hotel and Tourism Association’s 17th annual Golf Tournament 17th annual and won the top prize of Best Promotional Booth which was a remarkable accomplishment for a first time participant. The event was held at the Ocean Club Golf Course on Paradise Island.
- Valentines Resort participated in the 2015 Fort Lauderdale Boat Show, the 2016 Stuart Boat Show and the Miami Boat Show and will participate in the Palm Beach Boat show. This season we had booths and the Miami and Palm Beach boat shows. Next season will have booths at all four boat shows.
- Valentines Resort was featured in several leading publications including: Southern Boating, Marina Life, Business View Caribbean, the New York Times and as of this weekend, the Miami Herald and El Nuevo Herald.
- Valentines Resort will capitalize off of the new direct airlift services Delta has offered from Atlanta, Georgia to North Eleuthera.
- Valentines Resort sent a maintenance team to the North Eleuthera Airport to paint the interior of the departure terminal and it looks super. This allows us to place strategic advertising in the terminal.
Valentines entered into a partnership with Dermalogica Skin Care Centre. The new spa and skin care facility is located next to Cocoa Coffeehouse in a newly-renovated professional space. Dermalogica offers all skin care & body treatments, massage therapy and Dermalogica nail services in addition to the entire Dermalogica retail line which is available for purchase in the boutique. The retail boutique includes a Dermalogica Skin Bar where clients can have complimentary Face Mapping Skin Analysis and try new skin products. The spa and skin centre will continue the tradition of Valentines Resort; offering a “Five Star Service Rock Stars” experience to our guests.
In 2015 Harbour Island won the influential Travel + Leisure Top Travel Award: “Best Island in The Caribbean” for the second consecutive year. To an island often referred to as the friendliest place on earth, Harbour Island continues to maintain its island charm while becoming a globalized brand. December proved to be one of the biggest highlights of the year. North Eleuthera recorded record-breaking numbers in arrivals on December 26th with an estimate of 477 foreign visitors.
BEC is now Bahamas Power and Light (BPL). BPL is a new company and will be managed by Power Secure. BPL recently sent a team of experts and senior managers to Harbour Island to meet with hoteliers and local business owners. The meeting was hosted by Valentines and the purpose of the meeting was to highlight BPL’s plans for implementing both an immediate short term fix and a long term fix to provide stable power on Harbour Island. The work for the long term fix is to begin in March and be completed by the fall.
President, Bahama Out Islands Promotion Board
Managing Director, Valentines Residences Resort and Marina, Harbour Island, Bahamas, 242-333-2142, US 954-284-8694 www.valentinesresort.com